Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Showgirl Must Go On


Hi –

Tonight, Sara and I watched the Bette Midler Vegas show special that HBO did. While watching it all I could think in my head was what I must have looked like as a 10-year-old kid bee-bopping around the living room to ‘Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy.’ Jumping from the sectional sofa, to the Formica pink coffee table we had. Or if you ever witnessed one of my choreographed dances to ‘Miss Otis Regrets.’

I was a bit disappointed in the HBO Special – it felt a little disjointed. I think that they re-organized the numbers from what we saw. My main thought though was how it was so much more amazing in person. How, in person I was completely blown away by the evening. I laughed, I cried, we made friends with our surrounding neighbors. I’ll never forget the look on dad’s face when we found him after the show. He was so smiley, and giddy, and couldn’t get over how amazing it was. He was so happy.  I wish he was still happy.

I remember sitting at the concert over joy'd and having this perfect moment. Remember in the hotel room before the show dad asked me why I was getting all dolled up. Completely seriously I turned to him, and replied that I had to look my best because what if Bette caught a glimpse of me in the audience having the time of my life and she plucked me out of obscurity and we became fast friends. It totally could have happened.

That was a great weekend.

Love you forever, miss you always.
Rachel

"Oh, hi! A-heh heh! Is Miss Otis in?"
"Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today."

Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today, madam.
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today, mmmmmm.
And she's sorry to be delayed,
But last evening down at lover's lane
She strayed, madam.
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.

When she woke up and found
That her dream of love was gone, madam,
She ran to the man
Who had lead her so far astray.
And from under her velvet gown
She drew a gun and shot her lover down, madam.
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.

When the mob came and got her
And dragged her from the jail, madam,
They strung her up
On the willow across the way.
And the moment before she died
She lifted up her lovely head and cried, madam.
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch.
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.

No comments:

Post a Comment