Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Ripped from the headlines

Hi –

I’ve been known to watch an episode of ‘How I Met Your Mother’ here and there. I think it’s a great show, but it’s not a must see for me. Mainly because I think I have too many other things already recording during its time slot.

Apparently though last night’s episode played out like my life story. I’m not sure how the entire episode played out, but the one scene that was highlighted on my AOL homepage this morning was the ending scene. Normally carefree and happy-go-lucky Marshall runs into his wife Lily’s arms happy about life and she’s incredibly upset and tells him his father had a heart attack and died suddenly. Marshall’s final line is, "I'm not ready for this." Couldn’t agree more there Marshall.

I read a review of the episode and in the article there is a line – “Of course, now all I want to know is how this affects the usually affable and optimistic Marshall going forward. From the scenes we've seen of Middle-aged Marshall over the years, we know he's become disillusioned; maybe having his dad die on him so suddenly is the beginning of that” (http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/01/03/how-i-met-your-mother-season-6-episode-13-recap/)

I can’t help but wonder if that will be me. Perhaps my self recognition of all this, and ability to think about it means it wont be. But really who knows.

The only thing I know, and have known since all this happened was it would be the single most defining moment of my life. The moment which would impact everything that ever happened to me ever again. A moment I will wear like a badge – sometimes of honor, and sometimes of sadness.

A single moment.

Love you forever, Miss you always.
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment