Friday, December 31, 2010

“Auld Land Syne, Old Long Since, Long Long Ago or ‘Days Gone By”


Hi –

I’m sitting here in the guest bedroom at Carly’s getting ready to go to sleep. It’s the last night of 2010. I’m not nearly as sentimental as I would have expected. I used to be such a softie and its not that I’m no longer one, but it’s a lot harder to get there I guess. It comes to me in random, usually inappropriate, moments.

Who knows.

So tomorrow I’ll say goodbye to 2010 – and what a year it was. Highs of epic proportions – Savannah, Matt and Lauren, Kalel. Then lows so low I would have never expected to get back up. But here I am. Up and kicking. Stronger than I would have given myself credit for, and yet weaker than ever before - if that makes sense.

I have no real feeling for 2011 than it has to be better than this year. If not better, perhaps more of an even flow. There’s no way to really know except to let it happen, which is what I shall do. No real resolution just let life happen. Go with it. Don’t put up too much resistance. Don’t plan too much because g-d laughs in the face of plans.

Love you forever, miss you always.
Rachel

“Should old acquaintance be forgot,

and never brought to mind?

Should old acquaintance be forgot,

and old lang syne ?
For auld lang syne, my dear,

for auld lang syne,

we'll take a cup of kindness yet,

for auld lang syne.

And surely you'll buy your pint cup!

and surely I'll buy mine!

And we'll take a cup o' kindness yet,

for auld lang syne.
We two have run about the slopes,

and picked the daisies fine;

But we've wandered many a weary foot,

since auld lang syne.
We two have paddled in the stream,

from morning sun till dine;

But seas between us broad have roared

since auld lang syne.
And there's a hand my trusty friend!
And give us a hand o' thine!

And we'll take a right good-will draught,

for auld lang syne.”

1 comment:

  1. I've never given much thought to the song.I like your non resolution resolution. I think I will adopt the same one.

    ReplyDelete