Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The house that Oprah built.


Hi –

I’m laying here finally watching the Barbara Walters special about Oprah Winfrey that Ed worked on. It’s pretty good. I figured a lot of it was going to be things I already knew or had heard but its not. Which is a nice change.

The part that touches me the most is when she is talking about her best friend Gail. Which often times I have thought is a lot like my relationship with Sara. She says this one line, ”The therapy I didn’t have, and the therapy I don’t need is because of my thousands and thousands of hours on the phone with Gail.” I’ve got to agree about that. In fact I distinctly remember a conversation with good ole Judith where I had said to her, that there was nothing I was saying to her in this session that I wouldn’t say to Sara. And maybe that’s why it wasn’t working for me. She pushed back saying that part of the thing about therapy is having that non-involved opinion. I have to disagree to an extent though. There’s something about having that person who is invested, and who does really care, give their opinion. It means more to me I think. Good thing my psychology career never went past Psych 101.

The other thing that keeps popping into my head while watching this Barbara special is that I’ll never get to be on the Oprah Winfrey Show. Which is sad I think. Not that I’m doing anything with my life that will land me on her show, but in the way back recesses of my mind I day dreamed about it. About doing something incredibly amazing with my life, and having Oprah be interested in it. And the two of us together talking and laughing on her couch. It would have been awesome.

What’s really interesting is that I can remember what that daydream used to be like before this all happened. Oprah would ask me how I became the person I was. And I would always say it was because of you.

Love you forever, Miss you always.
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment